Anyway, I'm blogging again, and I thought I'd do another couple of posts with some snippets from the book. I'd love to know what you think (whether or not you've read it!).
Chapter 7 in the book is entitled 'Happily Ever After'. In large part it's my story - what I believe God is saying to me as I live out this single life. However in it I also explore some of the best and worst bits about being single. I include a list of both, based on the responses I got from my single friends who filled in the questionnaires I sent out.
So, here is a list (in no particular order, as they say) of the things my random group of friends felt were great about being single -
- Being able to decide on and do things spontaneously
- Having to face up to my own character issues and deal with them
- Having to totally rely on God
- Learning how to do practical jobs
- Having freedom to spend lots of time with God
- Pleasing myself about what I eat and drink!
- Freedom to make my own plans and decisions
- Being able to take on new roles and responsibilities as I choose
- Flexibility about how I use my time
- No one to shout at you if you bump the car!
- Developing self confidence, e.g. being able to go into parties and pubs alone
- Choosing your own style of house and garden decor
- Being able to be generous with money
- Being able to serve and give out more - no one will need you later at home so you can just come in and rest
- Building intimate friendships
- Being able to choose times of solitude
- Lower cost of living
- Being able to be hospitable and keep an open house
- Taking holidays in school time
Obviously not all of the things on that list will apply to some people (perhaps especially those who are single but have children) - but I still think it's a great list! It's so important that those of us who are single recognise and acknowledge the great things that we have the opportunity to do that we perhaps wouldn't be able to do if we were married.
Anyway, let me know what you think about the list above - do you agree or disagree? Are there things you'd add to that list? I'll do the slightly more negative list soon...